Before your float session
Floating is likely to be the most relaxing thing you’ve ever experienced and one of the simplest activities around.
At Floating Point we provide everything you'll need for the float session, including a fresh towel, ear plugs, shampoo and body wash (free of charge), an area for hair drying. We will provide moisturiser to re-hydrate your skin post-float.
After signing in we will take you through to your personal float room. If it is your first time, we will go through all the necessary information you’ll need. To have the best experience it is recommended that you float nude, the float rooms are all lockable from the inside so you and your belongings are safe.
Prior to your float we would recommend:
• Not shaving or waxing before, men avoid shaving at least 6 hours before you float and women avoid shaving at least 12 hours before your float. We provide Vaseline in every room for you to cover any small cuts and grazes.
• A full stomach is not great for floating, nor is the emptiest of stomachs. Having a light, easily digestible meal 1.5 to 2 hours pre-float is probably ideal.
• Please try to avoid caffeine before you float. The stimulation you experience from caffeine is the exact opposite way you’ll want to feel when you are in the pod.
• Staying hydrated is important, we provide you with fresh filtered water to stay refreshed and have the best experience possible.
Be sure to use the washroom prior to showering before you float to ensure there are no interruptions to your float.
Your float session
After a quick shower, you can enter the pod and ambient music is played for the first 10 minutes to ease you into the float. This is followed by 50 minutes of absolute tranquility.
The door to the pod is fully controllable from inside. You can choose whether to float with the door open or closed. Inside the pod there is a button to control the lights and a button to call reception if needed. There is also a water bottle in the pod so you can rinse your eyes should you get any salt water in them. The door of the tank can be fully controlled by you so you can have it open or closed as you wish.
As the session comes to an end, the music is played again so that you know that you should leave the tank.
To get the most out of your float session we have included a list of floating techniques.
- The most important thing is to get comfortable. There are only two real positions in the tank, with your arms at your side, palms down or with your arms over your-head with your palms up. Try to position your body in the middle of the tank to avoid bouncing from side to side, let your head fall back a little and your neck will relax, don’t worry about your head it will not sink. (If you would like a neck support there is one in the float room). Once you like your position and feel comfortable try to remain still and consciously relax all of your muscles.
- Your breath is the most effective tool for calming the mind and relaxing the body. Try to breathe primarily from your nose. At first, you can consciously take deep breaths, but once you settle into your experience try not to manipulate the breath and just observe the breathe. Don’t worry your body will always remember to breath. If you have practiced any meditation or breathing techniques, floating is the perfect opportunity to use them.
– Every floater is unique and will have their own ways of letting go. We advise not to force things and not to have any expectations that something will happen. Floating is the art of doing nothing, to help clear your mind you can focus on your breathing. This awareness will help you to relax and ultimately ‘let go.’
- Being physically still helps you find a comfortable position. Remaining there combined with stilling your mind either through breath awareness can lead you into a state of holistic stillness.
This can generate the perception of timelessness, your state of being will be extremely relaxed and this is when the body is in a state of healing.
After your float session
Following your float session, take another shower to wash away the salt from your skin. Once you are changed you can use our hair drying facilities, then sit back and bask in your post float glow in our ‘Quiet Area’. You can enjoy a fresh herbal tea or a cooling glass of filtered water with one of our tasty sorbets if you wish.
All that is left to do is tell your family and friends about your experience. To make a further booking please check out our price list here and choose the best option to suit you. Check out our special offers and membership pages for more ways to save.